The History and Renovation of the D-Barn:
The Dickens/Lashley Barn was built approximately 1916 by Senator Theodore Lashley. The barn was used as a dairy barn for part of its long history. It was converted into storage in its more recent history.
In March of 1996 Sue Connelly, a D-Barn owner, attended a Chamber of Commerce ground breaking ceremony at the site where the barn used to sit at 5th and Lashley. The barn was slated for the dump to make way for a new affordable housing complex. Six weeks later the barn was moved, all in one piece, to the present site.
Since then the barn has undergone extensive renovation. The old shingles were removed and the entire barn power washed. The old flooring was removed and used on the end walls. A new 2" x 6" tongue and groove floor was installed. The barn has been insulated from top to bottom. Air conditioning and 5 zone heating was installed.
This structure is designated a historic structure by The City of Longmont and Boulder County.